1) BLACKENED CHICKEN BREAST AND THAI CASHEW SLAW
Makes: 4 servings
1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp dehydrated onion
1 tbsp ground dried thyme
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground chipotle chili pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (5 to 6 oz each)
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 lemons, halved
1. Prepare grill and put a cast-iron skillet directly over the flame. Allow skillet to heat up for about 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic, onion, thyme, black pepper, chili pepper, and salt. Rub chicken with 2 tbsp oil; then coat on all sides with seasoning.
3. Carefully place chicken in skillet. Pour 2 tbsp oil over each piece and let chicken cook for 2 minutes before flipping.
Using grill mitts, move skillet to indirect heat and allow chicken to continue cooking until juices from the meat run clear or it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Squeeze fresh lemon over each piece before serving.
Calories: 259, Fat: 16g, Saturated fat: 2g, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 24g
THAI CASHEW SLAW
Makes: 8 servings
1 head green cabbage, shredded thinly
1 red onion, shaved thinly
3 stalks celery, sliced thinly
2 carrots, grated
1⁄4 cup red-wine vinegar
3 tbsp full-fat coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil 11⁄2 tsp sesame oil
juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp cashew butter
1⁄2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp ginger, minced
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
zest of 1 lime
1. Combine first six marinade ingredients in a bowl. Whisk gently, then more aggressively as mix becomes smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Toss cabbage, onion, celery, and carrots with marinade and refrigerate for 1 hour; serve.
Calories: 106, Fat: 7g, Saturated fat: 4g, Carbs: 11g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 3g
2) KOREAN LAMB BURGERS WITH GRILLED PORTOBELLO BUNS AND KIMCHI
Makes: 4 servings
8 large portobello mushrooms with stems removed
1 lb ground lamb (look for 90/10 blend)
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp pickled ginger, minced
2 scallions,thinly sliced
2 tbsp rice wine(can sub in dry sherry)
1⁄2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1⁄2 tsp coarsely ground sea salt
1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup kimchi (buy at Asian specialty stores)
1⁄4 small red onion, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
2 oz fresh napa cabbage, thinly shredded
1. Heat grill to medium high. Drizzle mushroom caps with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange mushrooms cap-side down on the part of the grill that has indirect heat. Close lid and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels; cover.
2. To prepare burgers, combine lamb in large bowl with remaining ingredients. Form into four patties and place over direct heat. Cook burgers to desired degree and set aside on a plate to rest.
3. To serve, turn one mushroom gill-side up, then place burger on top of mushroom. Add a portion of kimchi and a few slices of red onion, carrot, and cabbage. Top burger with second portobello-mushroom bun; wrap halfway with butcher paper or foil.
Calories: 484, Fat: 36.5g, Saturated fat: 13g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 24g